By Invitation only
If you are interested in being considered as an attendee to this workshop, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Best Practices for Randomized Controlled Clinical Studies on the Effects of Whole Foods:
Establishing evidence in support of Canadian Agri-Food products
Date: Thursday, December 5, 2019
Location: Hilton Garden Inn Downtown, Ottawa, ON
By Invitation Only
Development and implementation of best practices that will enable stronger nutrition messaging on Canadian Agri-Food products. Specific tools to be developed include:
- Resources lists
- Education among the scientific community about the best practices to encourage their use/implementation across the scientific community.
- Improved information to consumers on the development and support associated with health claims being used on food.
- Engagement and collaboration among AAFC, HC, commodity groups and industry to ensure adoption across all stakeholders of the best practices.
- Trainee engagement and learning opportunity.
- Manuscript submitted for publication (i.e. Journal of Nutrition, Nutrition, or APNM – tbd).
Draft program - Subject to change
08:00 - 08:30
Registration: Coffee and Light Breakfast
|08:30 - 09:00||
Introduction to Workshop
||James House, PhD - University of Manitoba|
|09:00 - 09:30||Optimizing the design of human clinical trials||George Wells, PhD - University of Ottawa|
|09:30 - 10:00||Overview of the issues/challenges related to Clinical Trials among Whole foods||Benoît Lamarche, PhD - Université Laval|
|10:00 - 10:30||
Health Claims and their Substantiation – Overview of the steps and requirements
||Kathy Musa-Veloso, PhD - Intertek|
|10:30 - 10:45||Health Break|
|10:45 - 11:15||Examples of Global Best Practices: A Regulatory Perspective||
Paula Trumbo, PhD - U.S. Food and Drug Administration
|11:15 - 11:45||Publishing Results from Clinical Studies with Whole Foods – Insights from a Journal Editor||Dennis Bier, M.D - Baylor College of Medicine|
|11:45 - 12:00||Summary of morning sessions and goals for the afternoon|
|12:00 - 13:00||Lunch|
|13:00 - 13:45||Breakout – Review of Acute Case Study/Clinical Trial Protocol (Satiety as outcome variable)|
|13:45 - 14:30||Report Back / Discussion|
|14:30 - 14:45||Health Break|
|14:45 - 15:30||Breakout – Review of Chronic Case Study/Clinical Trial Protocol (Lipid Lowering as outcome variable)|
|15:30 - 16:15||Report Back / Discussion|
|16:15 - 16:30||Next Steps for Establishing Best Practices & Concluding Remarks|