CNS 2018 Annual Conference Infographic Award Competition
Infographics provide an excellent platform to showcase nutrition and health concepts in an efficient, easy to interpret, creative, and colourful way. They offer an excellent opportunity to share evidence-based information with heath care professionals working with patients, as well as to communicate directly to the public (e.g. as posters in public spaces and on social media).
The design and development of infographics is an excellent skill for students/trainees to develop. In recognition of this, the Canadian Nutrition Society (CNS) has developed an Infographic Award Competition as a new feature to launch at the 2018 Annual Conference being held in Halifax, Nova Scotia from May 3-5, 2018.
Here is how you can take part in the CNS Infographic Competition:
- Select an issue/topic related to food and/or nutrition and health that you would like to communicate.
- Pitch your infographic idea in no more than 50 words. Although infographics can simply relay information, the best infographics will typically have a clear ‘take home’ message or recommendation.
- Have your pitch reviewed by your advisor/supervisor to collect feedback and to enable any necessary changes to ensure the accuracy and clarity of your infographic’s desired message.
Once you have received input and approval of your pitch, start to map out the Infographic design. Your Infographic should be aesthetically pleasing, eye-catching, and contain as few words as possible. The following websites may offer useful tools and tips:
- When selecting images, ensure that they are properly cited (must be creative commons, public domain, or taken/designed/drawn personally).
- Submit a PDF of your Infographic to CNS by March 1, 2018 – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A committee will be established to conduct an initial review to ensure accuracy and appropriateness.
- Successful submissions will be assigned a showcase time at the 2018 CNS conference (similar to academic posters); you will receive notice by April 1, 2018.
Conference Display Process:
If your infographic has been approved to display at the 2018 CNS Annual Conference– you will be asked to follow these instructions:
- Print your Infographic in colour on cardstock paper (sizes between 11”x17” (A3) up to 23”x31”(A1))
- Display boards will be set-up in a designated spot at the CNS Annual Conference. There will be designated time periods where you will have the opportunity to chat with your peers and nutrition scholars from across Canada about your work.
- The TOP THREE infographics (as judged by a panel of experts) will be chosen and announced at the CNS Awards Banquet.
- The FIRST place infographic will be published in the Journal of Applied Physiology, Nutrition, Metabolism (APNM).
- The FIRST, SECOND and THIRD place infographic will be published on the CNS website.
- The FIRST, SECOND and THIRD place infographic will be promoted and shared via the CNS and APNM social media channels.
- The top three infographic authors will receive a certificate achievement and a monetary prize.
Submissions are due March 1, 2018 in .pdf format to: