The Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism Award for Nutrition Translation
(supported by Canadian Science Publishing, the publishers of “Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism” – the official journal of the Canadian Nutrition Society).
The Canadian Nutrition Society recognizes the importance of activities that facilitate the translation of nutritional knowledge. Thus, on an annual basis, a call for review papers is announced on a theme established by the Canadian Nutrition Society, in conjunction with the editorial board of the journal Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism (APNM), to recognize excellence in the translation of nutritional knowledge. The selected author will prepare an invited review for the journal, and the manuscript will be subject to the journal’s peer-review process. Upon notification of acceptance of the manuscript, the author will receive an honorarium of $1000. Official recognition of the award will be made at the annual meeting of the Canadian Nutrition Society. The award is supported by Canadian Science Publishing, the publishers of APNM.
Given the fact that there are many examples where nutrition can work in combination with physical activity to promote health and/or enhance disease prevention and/or effectiveness of an intervention, this years’ theme includes consideration of physical activity.
Theme for 2018 - Nutrition and Physical Activity: Sex-Specific Health Responses
The submission of proposals is open to all scientists, but preference will be given to members and supporters of CNS. If needed, the lead applicant may choose to partner with a coauthor to ensure there is expertise in both the field of Nutrition and Physical Activity represented in the submission. A team with an early and/or mid-career investigator is encouraged. Trainees are welcome to submit a proposal with support of their supervisor or mentor. Applicants should provide a document (maximum 4 pages) that includes the following information:
- Topic area and proposed title
- Statement of relevance to the established theme (Nutrition and Physical Activity: Sex-Specific Health Responses). Please note that submissions are anticipated to focus on a specific area within the deliberately broad theme. Within this broad topic, the sex-specific responses to a lifestyle intervention could be in terms of weight loss, musculoskeletal health, during healthy development or any other scenario. The stated examples are simply examples! It is expected that a proposal will focus on a specific aspect of health.
- Outline of review paper, including major headings and sub-headings (maximum of 2 pages)
- Statement of novelty, anticipated impact, and timeliness of the review
- Explain how translation of nutritional knowledge is anticipated to result from the article. For example, identify how a knowledge translation component will be incorporated into the actual paper.
- Evidence of the author's expertise in the proposed topic area
Selection of the successful proposal will be based on the six criteria established above. The proposal with the highest score will be selected for development towards a review paper for publication in APNM, following the journal's established peer-review process.
Announcement of the Award
The official announcement of the award and recognition of the author will be made at the Awards Banquet at the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Nutrition Society. The recipient will receive an honorarium of $1000 from Canadian Science Publishing (publishers of APNM). If the author is in attendance, the opportunity exists to formally recognize them with a certificate provided by the publisher. The society is not responsible for covering costs associated with attendance at the Awards Banquet.
- Deadline for Proposal Submission: June 30, 2018
- Selected applicant notified by July 31, 2018
- Final review to be submitted to APNM by Nov 30, 2018
Proposals must be submitted via email to Professor Wendy Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org