The Canadian Diet: An opportunity for improved health via our food system
- Discuss linkages between dietary guidance and the food system, and what a Canadian Diet could/should be comprised of based on scientific evidence.
- Explore the future of dietary guidance in Canada, and influence of emerging areas including personalized nutrition.
- Determine elements to include in future (5, 10, 20 years) iterations of food and health policy in Canada, and the research questions to prioritize to gather the data needed to address these elements.
- Determine barriers and opportunities for the Canadian Diet.
- Report outcomes of the workshop with the publication of a paper.
For presentations (where available), click speaker names below.
For video recordings (where available), view "Conference Recordings" by clicking here
|THURSDAY, MAY 3, 2018 - 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM|
Welcome and History of Food for Health
David Ma, PhD, CNS-President and Dr. Jim House CNS-President-elect/Conference Chair
Food for Health Survey - Pre-Workshop Results
Jim House, PhD, CNS VP-Research/CNS President-elect
What are Canadians Eating? Insights from the 2015 CCHS
Mary L'Abbé, PhD, University of Toronto
A Healthy Happy Home
Isabel Morales, Nielsen
What could a Canadian diet look like?
Catherine Chan, PhD, University of Alberta
Personalized Nutrition vs. Dietary patterns: Are we ready to personalize diets?
David Mutch, PhD, University of Guelph
|12:15 PM||Lunch - A Canadian Diet Buffet|
Linking dietary guidance and the Canadian food system
Harvey Anderson, PhD, University of Toronto
|1:40 PM||Interactive Panel discussion|
Supporting Food Innovation to Enhance the Canadian Diet
Dan Ramdath, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Health Eating Pattern Development Proposed Methodology
Hasan Hutchinson, Health Canada
|3:15 PM||Breakout Group Discussions|
|4:00 PM||Report Back|
David Ma and Jim House
|4:30 PM||Adjournment - CNS Annual Conference Opening Reception|
- To view past summary reports and outcomes please click here.
The CNS Food for Health Workshop is a partnership of: